We are pleased to report that Senate Republicans blocked CPRD from consideration. According to The Hill newspaper, “Republicans blocked Sen. Tom Harkin’s (D-Iowa) request to vote on the United Nations' treaty for persons with disabilities. Harkin asked for unanimous consent to debate the treaty for two hours and then hold an up-or-down vote that would require two-thirds of the Senate’s support for adoption. But Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) objected…Lee said the adoption of any treaty deserves more than two hours of debate and senators should be able to offer amendments.”
While this is great news, it is still not the end of CRPD, and Democrats could bring it up again. We’ll keep watching for it and keep you updated.
The United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) threatens U.S. sovereignty and parental rights. This treaty, if ratified, would effectively put us under international law when it comes to parenting our special needs children. While CRPD may, on the surface, appear to protect those with disabilities, it actually gives the government the power, with direction from the U.N., to decide what is best for our children.
That is wrong and not something we should see in the United States of America.
There are two provisions in this treaty that are most concerning:
- One treaty provision would give the government, acting under U.N. instructions, the ability to determine for all children with disabilities what is best for them.
- If CRPD were ratified, it would give the U.N. discretion over decisions about how we educate our special needs kids and could potentially eliminate parental rights for the education of children with disabilities.
Patriot Voices is putting the pressure on now to ensure the U.S. Senate does not pass this dangerous treaty.
Please take action with us!
- Stand with us by adding your name below to help ensure CRPD is not ratified.
- Contact your U.S. Senators and ask them to oppose CRPD.
- Contact members of the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations and ask them vote NO on CRPD.
- Read and share this article written by Rick Santorum about CRPD.
- Watch Rick Santorum, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Michael Farris (Home School Legal Defense Association) voice opposition at a recent press conference on Capitol Hill.
- Send this customizable email to friends and family.
- Send a letter to the editor to spread awareness.