Speaker Boehner has attempted to punish members of Congress whose votes have not been in line with party leadership.
He stripped Congressman Mark Meadows of his subcommittee chairmanship because Meadows voted against a procedural motion on trade legislation.
Fortunately, people spoke out against the attack on Congressman Meadows and the decision to strip him of the subcommittee chairmanship was reversed. In the words of Congressman Meadows, "The voice of the people still matters. ... It matters to me. It matters to members of Congress and we can't forget that.”
It is time to put a stop to the bullying of conservatives by their own party, because if we don’t speak out loud and clear, it WILL happen again.
Please add your name to our petition and tell Speaker Boehner that Members of Congress should be able to vote in the interest of their constituents and their conscience without the threat of retribution from House leadership.
- We know the First Amendment says:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
- We know that the First Amendment is one of our most precious rights as Americans, and we won’t allow it to be trampled upon.
- We believe that the efforts by the City of Houston to subpoena materials from pastors across the city is a violation of that right.
- We stand with these pastors and not just because of religious reasons. We believe that regardless of one’s religious or political views, this kind of activity by any government in this country is extremely alarming and must be stopped.
- We believe that the constant drumbeat to weaken our First Amendment is real, and we will stand with Republicans and Democrats to stop it.
Add your name below if you stand with Patriot Voices on this critical issue!